AFOI is Virginia's non-profit organization serving families of people who are incarcerated, one of only a few such programs in the country. As a volunteer with AFOI you are taking part in a creative and direct approach to serving families in need. You are helping to keep families together by making it possible for them to visit loved ones in remote, rural prisons. You are also helping our community to prevent crime and lower recidivism rates. Individuals in prison eventually return to our community and statistics show that those who have received regular, supportive visits while in prison are less likely to re-enter the criminal justice system once they are released.
Volunteers provide many of AFOI’s services. Your contributions are needed in the following areas:
- Helping to register Transportation Program clients on Saturday mornings.
- Helping to facilitate Saturday and Sunday visits for Video Visitation Program clients.
- Preparing meals on Saturday afternoons for Transportation Program families to enjoy when they return from their trips.
- Coordinating activities for Transportation Program children on Saturday mornings before buses depart.
- Assisting the organization with fundraising events.
- Collecting much needed items, such as group snacks, canned goods and/or school supplies.
- Composing and editing our agency newsletter.
- Coordinating and leading family support group discussions.
- Joining our volunteer Board of Directors.
To learn more about our volunteer opportunities, complete the volunteer interest form (click button below), and a member of our staff will contact you.
Ready to volunteer with us? Complete the volunteer application (click button below) and follow the instructions in the application for submission.