Welcome to Assisting Families of Inmates – Virginia’s program serving families of prisoners, one of only a few such programs in the country. As a volunteer with AFOI you are taking part in a creative and direct approach to serving families in need. You are helping to keep families together by making it possible for them to visit loved ones in remote, rural prisons. You are also helping our community to prevent crime and lower recidivism rates. Individuals in prison eventually return to our community and statistics show that those who have received regular, supportive visits while in prison are less likely to re-enter the criminal justice system once they are released.
Volunteers provide many of AFOI’s services. Your contributions are needed in the following areas:
- Helping to register Transportation Program clients on Saturday mornings.
- Helping to facilitate Saturday and Sunday visits for Video Visitation Program clients.
- Preparing meals on Saturday afternoons for Transportation Program families to enjoy when they return from their trips.
- Coordinating activities for Transportation Program children on Saturday mornings before buses depart.
- Assisting the organization with fundraising events.
- Collecting much needed items, such as group snacks, canned goods and/or school supplies.
- Composing and editing our agency newsletter.
- Coordinating and leading family support group discussions.
- Joining our volunteer Board of Directors.
Volunteers are an integral part of our team. Without them, we would be unable to offer the outstanding quality of services and programs that we strive to provide to our client families. You will be joining hundreds of other volunteers who come from all over Richmond, and the surrounding areas, to contribute in some way to meaningful services for these families. Our volunteers become involved with AFOI through churches, civic groups, fraternal organizations, jobs and friends. The contribution of your time and talents is greatly appreciated and valued. Please let us know about any questions or suggestions that you may have. Your comments are always welcome and will help us continue to improve our programs and services.
We need your help to continue this valuable work. In addition to financial contributions we also welcome volunteers who can donate a few hours per month and organizations and/or businesses who can adopt families during the holiday seasons (Thanksgiving and Christmas). Families involved in our programs also appreciate donations of school supplies for their elementary school-aged children during the back to school season.
For more information on how you can help Assisting Families of Inmates please contact us.